HUD announces a record-high number of homeless people in the United States in 2023

The 2023 Annual Homeless Assessment Report by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has highlighted a significant increase in homelessness across the United States.

The report indicates that over 653,000 people were experiencing homelessness, a 12% rise from the previous year. This increase equates to about 70,650 more individuals without a home compared to 2022. The data, compiled through the Point-In-Time Count method, attempts to count every person living homeless on a specific day of the year across the nation.

A notable aspect of this report is the distribution of homeless individuals between sheltered and unsheltered locations. Approximately 60% of the homeless population were staying in sheltered locations, while the remaining 40% were in unsheltered places not meant for human habitation​​.

The 2023 Point-in-Time (PIT) Count revealed that this figure represents a record high since the collection of homelessness data began in 2007. The situation is further exacerbated by rising rents and the conclusion of programs aimed at preventing evictions and housing loss, contributing to the record-high numbers.

The data showed that roughly 20 out of every 10,000 people in the United States were experiencing homelessness on a single night​​​​.

Another significant finding is the demographic shift in the homeless population. The largest numerical increase was observed among people who identify as Hispanic or Latin, which saw a 28% increase (39,106 people) between 2022 and 2023​​.

These statistics underscore the growing challenge of homelessness in the United States and highlight the need for effective policies and interventions to address this critical issue.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.