Browse By

A Statement of Anti-Racism from the Editorial Board

Dear Beloit College community,

Black Lives Matter. As Beloit College’s student newspaper, The Round Table’s duty is to fully and accurately represent the student body. We strive to be a publication by the entire campus and for the entire campus, keeping in mind that our readership includes college faculty and staff as well as alumni, donors and trustees with leverage over the administration.

The statement released by Black Students United on June 25 was correct. For years, The Round Table has failed to properly feature the voices of Black students, except in the aftermath of a traumatic event for Beloit’s Black students and faculty, during Black History Month, or after Black students have approached us first. This was indeed exploitative and performative. To the students of BSU: Thank you for demanding that we do better. We have heard your demands and your frustration with our organization, and we will meet them.

The undersigned current and former editors hold ourselves accountable, and we apologize. Current editors will implement the following changes, beginning this semester.

1. Our current Editors in Chief have been in touch with BSU about a weekly column by its members in our Features section.
  2. An open invitation to take on a similar column is extended to all identity-based clubs and organizations.
  3. All future Editors in Chief will regularly attend BSU meetings.
  4. All new Editors will be provided with Anti-Racist educatioal resources throughout the semester.
  5. We will send information about meeting times, editorship applications, and ways to submit editorials directly to all student clubs and organizations at the beginning of every semester, in addition to continuing to publicize that information via flyers, stuboard and the student Facebook group.
  6. White editors and reporters will take on additional labor in order to amplify BIPOC voices at low-energy cost to BIPOC writers and editors. 

During the past few months, Beloit students have seen large media outlets that claim to be objective and nonpartisan both ignore and exploit BIPOC voices. The solution lies in training future reporters to check their own reporting biases, and to understand that marginalized communities are affected by all stories, not only those that concern them explicitly. If future editors graduate unable to do that, The Round Table will have failed in its second duty: preparing aspiring writers and journalists to help effect lasting change.

We expect that all future editors, staff, and contributing writers will adhere to the points in this document. We consider this statement to be a living document that is subjected to change as needed.

Signed,

The Round Table Editorial Board Spring/Fall 2020