Explosion in New York City leaves 29 injured
A powerful explosion rippled through the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people. So far, no major terrorist organizations have claimed responsibility for the blast.
Authorities were going through surveillance footage, speaking with witnesses and examining components of the explosive device itself in an attempt to figure out exactly what happened and who was responsible.
Officials are also investigating a possible link between the Chelsea explosion and one in New Jersey earlier in the day, which may have involved a device that was constructed using similar materials. There were no injuries suffered in the New Jersey blast.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told the public that there is no evidence linking the incident to international terrorism, but that the explosion was intended to kill or seriously maim citizens.
“This is one of the nightmare scenarios,” he said at a news conference on Sunday. “We really were very lucky that there were no fatalities.”
Authorities also revealed that they had discovered and removed a second device several blocks from the sight of the explosion. Cuomo stated that the devices appeared to be similar in construction. The second “viable device” apparently failed to detonate.
This second device was reportedly constructed from a pressure cooker. This, coupled with the two bomb design, was remarkably reminiscent of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings. Bomb technicians are working to examine both the exploded and intact devices to look for clues or if the bombs were further influenced by the Boston attacks.
The attack has rattled New York, a city which has otherwise eluded terrorist activity since the devastation of September 11.
According to officials, a motive for the attacks has been hard to come by. Surveillance footage shows a man walking toward the spot where the bomb detonated shortly before the blast, but the placement has police puzzled.
“We don’t understand the target or the significance of it,” a police official told the New York Times. “It’s by a pile of dumpsters on a random sidewalk.”
UPDATE: Police officials arrested 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami in connection with the bombing. Rahami was taken into custody following a shootout. Rahami and two police officers were wounded in the skirmish.